- UAS Community Engagement
Saturday, March 17th
Hilton Garden Hotel
1 22nd Street, Saskatoon SK
for more information please contact the UAS coordinator:
Phone: (306) 975-2091
Fax: (306) 975-9156
- Call for Youth Steering Committee Meeting
Deadline to apply is Friday, February 24, 2012 @ 4pm
Through respectful collaboration and building upon Aboriginal history, language and culture we will create measurable and sustained improvement in the quality of life for the urban Aboriginal community of Saskatoon.
The Urban Aboriginal Strategy, (UAS) provides funding opportunities for initiatives that support Urban Aboriginal communities by promoting self-reliance and increasing life choices for Aboriginal people living in urban centres. Priority is given to initiatives that engage partners and expect to affect policy or other long term change.
Eligible applicants: Not-for-profit organizations, municipal governments, educational institutions, Aboriginal organizations and service providers, service organizations that serve Aboriginal people, research organizations and research institutes. For-profit enterprises will only be eligible to receive UAS funds in those instances where the funds received do not contribute to a profit for the enterprise.
All proposed activities must align with one or more of the National UAS priorities AND one or more of the Saskatoon UAS priorities.
National UAS priorities:
- Improving life skills
- Promoting job training, skills and entrepreneurship
Supporting women, children and families
Saskatoon UAS priorities:
- Improving availability of, and access to, health information and services
- Increase in availability, and access to, economic development opportunities such as enterprise pre-development and / or employment
- Increase opportunities for urban Aboriginal youth to participate in sport, recreation, education, employment, and cultural/ spiritual activities and increase access to related services including health services
- Improve availability of, and access to, initiatives that assist those at-risk facing poverty, assist those at-risk of returning to poverty, and assist with managing the effects of poverty
- Increase availability of, and access to, initiatives that address housing issues